Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Monday, August 10, 2009
Ironically, all the weed pulling we did a few posts back was really worthless since it would've gone up in flames anyway.
Thursday, July 30, 2009
The next day I went back out to run the actual perc test. Now in a perc test, after the soil (or in this case, the garbage) has been saturated you fill the hole with water and measure the time it takes for the water to drop i.e. minutes per inch. So I filled the hole with water and before I could fill the next hole, the water level, as it had before, dropped completely. I concluded that garbage has a really low (or in other words, a really fast) perc rate.
I decided to switch gears and try running a perc test in the native soil. I dug two holes in the native soil and started saturating them.I'm pretty sure these tests are going to be much different. I saturated the holes but didn't have time to run the tests the next day, (I'll have to start over) but came back four days later to see that one of the holes still had water in it. I think this soil is a little less permeable than the garbage.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
It goes through a series of conveyors that sort
Everything is then bailed and shipped out by rail car or semi-trailer
My boss performing the ceremonial "First Flush"
Now here at the landfill, we're all about recycling and reusing, so when one of the supervisors mentioned that he needed a new chair I jumped on the opportunity to show my care for the environment.
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle!!
Monday, June 29, 2009
Here's the dozer starting the dressing.
And the grader making it look pretty.
The roller finished the job till we had this nice looking channel
This would have been great and all, but as mentioned in the previous post, the heavens opened up and it rained, and rained, and rained!! It rained so much that it turned my nice channel into a slot canyon.
Well, a month later after going through the wettest June in who knows how long, we re-cut the channel and re-dressed it. The operators here are really talented and did a great job. After they made and dressed the channel again, we got the membrane in. We used some of the leftover geonet that we use when lining our cells.
We then started placing the riprap
Isn't it beautiful?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
Joyfully digging out thistle
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I've been working on drawing a Process and Instrumentation Diagram (P&ID) for our gas/leachate lines. In the process of doing that, we opened the valve box for one of our leachate/condensation injection lines and found that the box was half full of condensate. Now keep in mind, this is a bottomless box. That means that it had been leaking in it long enough to create a biofilm across the bottom of the box so that the liquid could not percolate through the soil. Luckily it's on the lined part of the landfill so we're not breaking any regulations. That was quite the mess, and quite the smell. We're still trying to figure out the problem with it. It looks like there was a small leak in the runoff line coming from the Public Convenience Center (PCC) but that was replaced and condensate and/or leachate is still leaking in. I'm afraid the drainfield has failed. If that's the case, we're going to need to install a new drainfield.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
The engines are finally back online. We're generating electricity again. Esther and I went out and serviced a couple of the knockout pumps and balanced some of the wells, so the engines should be getting good quality gas. They were struggling at first, generating barely over 3 MW at full bore. But we got most of the lines drained of condensate and they're running at around 3.5 MW without having to be full bore.
I think I've got my riprap channel completely designed. I'm just waiting for when we have an operator available to dress the channel and when I can purchase the riprap. I need to put more pictures up. Pictures are more interesting that words.
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
A flow meter was recently installed so we can confirm that the pump I installed last year is pumping all the way to the drain field. I've been watching it lately and am happy to say the pump is working great! There's a trench in the bottom of the active cell, right next to the leachate pond, with a perforated pipe running along the bottom. The trench fills up with leachate before overflowing into the leachate pond. The pump I installed is in the pipe at the bottom of the trench and pumps leachate into a drainfield in the adjacent cell. This, hopefully, will help with decomposition and gas production in the adjacent cell.
This is me last year with the pump.
These are the flow meters and valves near the drainfield. The bottom one goes to my pump.
When I'm not out checking meters and getting rashes, I've been creating a map, with AutoCAD, of the various easements at the landfill. It's been a lot of interpreting legal documents and drawing the map according to the metes and bounds. It's almost like a game...maybe not.
Monday, May 11, 2009
Since I was already in the sampling mood, I figured "what the hey, I'll sample the compost as well.